-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
Winter Paralympics to start with icy blast as Ukraine lead ceremony boycott
The Milan-Cortina Winter Paralympics start on Friday but the atmosphere at the opening ceremony has been dampened by Ukraine leading a boycott against the presence of a handful of Russian competitors in the competition.
Ukraine's team will skip the ceremony in Verona in protest at the International Paralympic Committee's decision to allow six Russian and four Belarusian athletes to compete under their respective national flags rather than as neutrals.
Russia and Belarus had been banned from the 2022 Winter Paralympics in Beijing following the invasion of Ukraine, although they were permitted to compete as neutral athletes in the Paris Summer Paralympics two years later.
Valeriy Sushkevych, President of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee, said although he was furious at the decision, boycotting the entire competition would be counter-productive.
"If we do not go, it would mean allowing (Russian president Vladimir) Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games. That will not happen!," the 71-year-old told AFP last month.
The Ukrainians will be joined in their boycott of the ceremony by the Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Latvia and Poland.
The IPC's decision also drew criticism from politicians across Europe, with the EU saying its representative will also boycott the ceremony.
IPC president Andrew Parsons said last week he and the organisation were "deeply disappointed" at the boycott.
The 49-year-old Brazilian said the ceremony should not be "politicised", adding there are "different ways and spaces to send messages and express views freely".
He justified the decision by citing the vote taken at last September's General Assembly which voted for both countries to return under their flags.
He added a judgement issued by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) last December cleared the way for Russian and Belarusian athletes to qualify by right for the Games.
These arguments are unlikely to quell the disquiet or prevent protests during the quadrennial sporting extravaganza.
The president of Germany's National Paralympic Committee, Hans-Joerg Michels, told AFP's German subsidiary SID last week his organisation would not issue a "gag order" on athletes protesting.
"Every athlete should decide for themselves whether and how they wish to express their views," said Michels.
What form any further protests at a ceremony usually aimed at promoting togetherness and harmony takes remains to be seen, as does the reception of the Russian and Belarusian athletes by the spectators at the historic Verona Arena.
- Let the Games begin -
Parsons and many others -- even those sympathetic to Ukraine's plight -- will hope the extraordinary feats and stories of over 600 athletes are not lost amid the political furore on the 50th anniversary of the Paralympics.
The athletes will compete in six different sports spread out across three sites, in the north of Italy, from March 6-15, in an event that comes hot on the heels of the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics.
The Dolomite ski resort of Cortina d'Ampezzo will play host to most of the action as it welcomes the wheelchair curling, para alpine skiing and para snowboarding.
Milan's Santagiulia Arena will be the setting for the para ice hockey, while para biathlon and para cross-country skiing events will take place in Val di Fiemme.
Once the action gets going, one star to watch will be British para snowboarder Davy Zwy, who will become the first man with motor neurone disease to compete in a Winter Paralympics.
Double Summer Paralympic gold medallist Lauren Parker will make her Winter Games debut when she represents Australia in the biathlon and cross-country events.
El Salvador's cross-country skier David Chavez will make history in Val di Fiemme when he becomes the first person from the Central American country to take part in a Winter Games -- either Olympics or Paralympics.
P.Stevenson--AMWN