-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
Middle East war halts work at WHO's Dubai emergency hub
The Middle East war has forced the World Health Organization to suspend operations at its global emergency logistics hub in Dubai, the UN agency's chief said Thursday.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that the impact of the conflict, sparked by the US-Israeli attacks on Iran on Saturday, "goes beyond the immediately affected countries".
"Operations at WHO's logistics hub for global health emergencies in Dubai are currently on hold due to insecurity," he told a press conference.
Last year, the Dubai logistics hub processed more than 500 emergency orders for 75 countries around the world, Hanan Balkhy, the WHO's Eastern Mediterranean regional director, told reporters.
"Humanitarian health supply chains are now being jeopardised," she warned.
Balkhy explained that "the hub's operations are temporarily on hold due to insecurity, airspace closures and restrictions affecting access to the Strait of Hormuz".
The disruption, she said, was "preventing access to $18 million in humanitarian health supplies while another $8 million in shipments cannot reach the hub".
It was affecting more than 50 emergency supply requests from 25 countries, as well as some $6 million in medicines destined for the war-torn Gaza Strip.
- 'Extremely important lifeline' -
On top of that, $1.6 million in polio laboratory supplies were being held up, which could have dire impacts for Afghanistan and Pakistan, where the disease is endemic, she cautioned.
Balkhy said the WHO was discussing and coordinating with authorities in the United Arab Emirates on how to continue using the hub.
It was also in discussions with other countries and humanitarian partners on using other hubs in Nairobi, Dakar and Brindisi to establish other routes.
If the conflict draws out, Balkhy acknowledged there could be a need to discuss "all types of potential road routes or ground routes, potentially through the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia", but said the WHO hoped it would not need to do so.
"The Dubai hub is an extremely important lifeline for the humanitarian response," she said.
- 'Nuclear risks' -
As for the direct impact of war, Balkhy said the UN health agency was coordinating the health response across 16 affected countries, and was supporting health ministries and partners "to sustain essential services".
The WHO was also "strengthening disease surveillance and preparing for potential mass casualties and displacement", she said.
Iran meanwhile had not made any "formal request for any specific supplies" from WHO, "as their system is withholding and withstanding the current situation", Balkhy said.
But she said the WHO was "scaling readiness for chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear risks".
Tedros also pointed to the threats to nuclear facilities posed by the conflict.
"Any compromise to nuclear safety could have serious public health consequences," he warned.
The WHO also sounded the alarm over the more than a dozen attacks on healthcare registered by Thursday in the not even one-week-old conflict.
The organisation said it had so far verified 13 attacks on healthcare in Iran, killing four people and injuring 25, while an attack in Lebanon killed three paramedics and injured six others.
"Under international humanitarian law, health care must be protected and not attacked," Tedros said.
A.Jones--AMWN