-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
-
Starc takes four to keep Delhi alive in IPL
-
Kyiv residents protest 'dangerous' civil code, call for LGBTQ rights
-
Modiba thunderbolt gives Sundowns victory in African final first leg
-
World champions England see off France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Taiwan's leader says island will not be 'traded away'
-
Sinner wins Italian Open, extends Masters tournament streak
-
'Michael' moonwalks back to top of N. America box office
-
Putter powers sizzling Kitayama to record 63 at PGA
-
Travolta channelled film greats in low-thrust plane movie
-
Scotland rugby great Scott Hastings dead at 61 - SRU
-
Fujimori and Sanchez advance to Peru runoff: official results
-
Italian PM meets victims of Modena car incident
-
'Fight relentlessly': Ukraine commander vows strikes into Russia
-
Kitayama fires sizzling 63 at PGA as No.1 Scheffler starts
-
Fernandes equals Premier League assist record in Man Utd win, West Ham brace for Newcastle
-
Ireland thrash Scotland 54-5 in Women's Six Nations to finish third
-
Vingegaard climbs to victory as Eulalio holds firm in pink
-
Carrick expects clarity on Man Utd future in 'coming days'
-
Eyewitness says Modena tragedy could have been even worse
-
Around 10 'new' victims in France's Epstein probe: prosecutor
Fear in central Beirut as Israel strikes, with and without warning
Sara Saleh and her family fled wearing their pyjamas on Wednesday when Israel's military said it would strike a central Beirut building near the school-turned-shelter where they had been staying.
Several other strikes, however, came without warning, jolting terrified residents in the middle of the night and early morning and killing at least 12 people.
They were just the latest Israeli attacks on the Lebanese capital since war again erupted between Israel and Hezbollah this month.
"It was at 4:00 am (0200 GMT), we were asleep" when the Israeli evacuation warning came, said Saleh, 29, adding that she also heard gunfire alerting people to the danger.
Along with her parents, brother, sisters and sisters' children, "we fled in our pyjamas" down the road to central Beirut's Martyrs' Square, she said.
The sound of the strike "was terrifying... all of Beirut shook," said Saleh, who was displaced from the southern suburbs. She had stayed in the same school during the 2024 war between Israel and Hezbollah.
The children "started crying and panicking, it was heartbreaking", she said, wearing a facemask to protect herself from the dust thrown up by the destruction of the building in the Bashoura neighbourhood, which faced one of the city's main roads.
Lebanon was drawn into the Middle East war on March 2 when the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah launched rockets towards Israel in response to US-Israeli strikes that killed Iranian supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Israel has responded with strikes on Lebanon including Hezbollah's southern Beirut stronghold, and ground operations in the south.
Its military has also hit the capital's central districts several times, only sometimes issuing evacuation orders.
"What's scary is that they are striking without warning," Saleh said.
"It's good they gave a warning here because with us in the school hosting displaced people there are children, babies" and elderly people, she said.
- 'Terrifying' -
Not far away in Zuqaq al-Blat, a densely populated district close to the government's headquarters and several embassies, people were clearing dust and glass from cars and the streets after the latest strike.
People watched as compact earthmovers cleared the road and transported rubble, while shopkeepers milled near shattered shopfronts and an Israeli surveillance drone buzzed overhead.
Chunks of ash floated in the air and people shouted to warn those below of glass about to fall from a blown-out window, as a mangled scooter sat near the curb.
"My family and I were terrified," said Haidar, 68, a shopkeeper who lives nearby.
"When there's no warning, it's very tough," he said.
He said his distressed wife wanted to try to find another place to stay after several strikes on the district since the war erupted.
In the street, a woman cried and a family with children carrying bags and a pink child's doll were seen leaving the area.
The health ministry said the strikes in Zuqaq al-Blat as well as the nearby Basta district also wounded 41 people.
Hezbollah's Al Manar television said the director of its political programmes and his wife were among the dead.
"We can barely speak... We're exhausted," said Zainab, 65, who lived nearby and was at home with family when the most recent strike hit.
The bombing "was very strong... we felt as if it was over our heads", she said.
"We're afraid... every hour or two, they bomb somewhere," she said.
"Where are we supposed to go?"
F.Bennett--AMWN