-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Bioz and InvivoGen Elevate Scientific Discovery with an Expanded Digital Research Experience
-
BioNxt Advances Cladribine Clinical Program with Completion of the Investigational Medicinal Product Dossier (IMPD) Ahead of Human Clinical Studies
-
Empire Metals Limited Announces MRE Upgrade at Pitfield Titanium Project
-
Elevate Acquires Lupl
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - August 19
-
Caldwell Strengthens Life Sciences and Healthcare Practice with Addition of Olga Kozlova in Dubai
-
Best Place to Buy Gold IRA in 2026 (Guide Released)
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
Downing Street denies exerting pressure to OK Mandelson appointment
Downing Street on Tuesday denied a claim from a former official that it had applied pressure on civil servants to approve the appointment of Peter Mandelson as UK envoy to Washington and seemed to dismiss security concerns.
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer remained mired in a scandal over his decision to appoint Mandelson as Britain's envoy to the United States before sacking him last year over links to the late US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Olly Robbins, the most senior foreign ministry official until he was fired last week over the scandal, told MPs Tuesday that Starmer's office had a "dismissive attitude" towards the security vetting for its US envoy pick.
There was a "very strong expectation ... coming from Number 10 (Downing Street) that he (Mandelson) needed to be in post and in America as quickly as humanly possible", Robbins told a watchdog parliamentary committee.
"My office, the foreign secretary's office, were under constant pressure, there was an atmosphere of constant chasing."
A Downing Street spokesman denied this, saying there was "clearly a difference between asking for updates on an appointment process", and being dismissive about vetting.
Government minister Darren Jones told an emergency debate in parliament Tuesday that "no such pressure was applied beyond asking for the process to be completed as quickly as possible".
On Monday Starmer told parliament he was "wrong" to appoint Mandelson but accused officials of deliberately hiding information that the Labour politician had been denied security clearance.
The Foreign Office subsequently green-lit Mandelson -- who had long been known to have close ties to Epstein -- despite the government now confirming independent vetting officials had recommended security clearance be denied.
That revelation, first reported by The Guardian last Thursday, has prompted fresh calls for Starmer to resign, after he previously insisted all "due process" had been followed.
During the emergency debate Tuesday, the head of the Conservative rightwing opposition party Kemi Badenoch urged Labour MPs to hold a vote of no confidence in Starmer.
The beleaguered British leader has blamed officials for deliberately keeping him in the dark about the security clearance issue, and on Monday denied misleading parliament with his previous statements on the scandal.
- 'Borderline case' -
In his much-anticipated testimony, Robbins provided a more nuanced assessment, insisting he formally approved Mandelson after vetting officials -- housed in another government department -- concluded he was a "borderline" case.
"I was briefed that ... they were leaning towards recommending that clearance be denied but that the Foreign Office security department assessed that the risks ... could be managed and/or mitigated," Robbins told MPs.
"I was also told that the risks did not relate to Mandelson's relationship with Jeffrey Epstein," he added.
UK media has reported that the concerns surrounded the links of Mandelson's now-shuttered lobbying firm to Chinese companies.
Mandelson, now 72, was named to the coveted top diplomatic post in December 2024, just weeks before US President Donald Trump was inaugurated the following month, and took up the job in February 2025.
Asked about the possibility of denying Mandelson security clearance, Robbins conceded that would have been a "difficult problem I would have been landing the foreign secretary with and the prime minister with".
But he insisted "that was not what was on my mind as we took this decision" while also noting a denial would have "damaged" UK-US ties.
Starmer sacked Mandelson in September 2025, seven months after he took up the post, following new details emerging about the depth of the ex-envoy's ties to Epstein, who died in a US prison in 2019 while facing sex-trafficking charges.
- 'Bad pick' -
UK police are now investigating allegations Mandelson leaked sensitive documents to Epstein when he was a government minister, including during the 2008 financial crash.
He was arrested and released in February and has not been charged. Mandelson denies criminal wrongdoing.
Overnight, Trump, who has criticised Starmer over a perceived lack of support for his Iran war, waded into the controversy.
He agreed on his Truth Social platform that Mandelson "was a really bad pick" for the Washington job.
But in a slight sign of encouragement, Trump added: "Plenty of time to recover, however!"
Starmer said Monday he has instigated a review of the security vetting process. But former civil servants have accused him of scapegoating Robbins.
On Tuesday Starmer told ministers that Robbins "made an error of judgement" but was a "man of integrity".
P.Silva--AMWN