-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
Trump says cancelled envoys' Pakistan trip, but war not resuming
US President Donald Trump announced he had cancelled his envoys' planned trip to Pakistan for peace talks with Iran on Saturday, but said that did not mean an immediate resumption of the US-Israeli war against the Islamic republic.
Shortly before the announcement, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi wrapped up his own diplomatic visit to Islamabad after meeting with Pakistani military chief Asim Munir, a key figure in the mediation effort, as well as Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar.
The White House had previously said Trump emissaries Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner were headed to the Pakistani capital for an "in-person conversation" with the Iranians that would "hopefully move the ball forward towards a deal".
But Trump told Fox News on Saturday that he had nixed the trip.
"We have all the cards. They can call us anytime they want, but you're not going to be making any more 18-hour flights to sit around talking about nothing," the president said he had told his team.
Asked by US media outlet Axios whether that meant a resumption of hostilities, Trump said: "No. It doesn't mean that. We haven't thought about it yet."
Iran's foreign ministry said Araghchi had left Islamabad and arrived in Muscat on Saturday for meetings with Omani officials. He is also expected to travel on to Russia to discuss efforts to end the war, which the United States and Israel began against Iran on February 28.
Araghchi described his Pakistan trip as "very fruitful" in a post on X, adding he had shared Iran's position on a "workable framework to permanently end the war".
"Have yet to see if the US is truly serious about diplomacy," he said.
Even before Trump's announcement, the prospect of new talks had been uncertain, with Iranian state television saying Araghchi had no plans to meet with the Americans, and that Islamabad would serve as a bridge to "convey" Iranian proposals.
- Opening Hormuz 'vital' -
The urgency of striking a deal to permanently end the war has mounted as the Strait of Hormuz, a vital conduit for the world's oil and gas supplies, has remained closed.
But Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards said on Saturday that they had no intention of ending their effective blockade of the waterway, which has thrown energy markets into turmoil.
"Controlling the Strait of Hormuz and maintaining the shadow of its deterrent effects over America and the White House's supporters in the region is the definitive strategy of Islamic Iran," the Guards said on their official Telegram channel.
The US has imposed a blockade of its own on Iranian ports in retaliation.
In a defiant statement carried by state media, the Iranian military's central command said that if "the invading US military continues blockading, banditry, and piracy in the region, they should be certain that they will face a response".
Since the first and only round of US-Iran talks, also hosted by Pakistan, efforts to bring the two sides back to the table have hit an impasse, with Iran refusing to participate as long as the US naval blockade remains in place.
Iran, meanwhile, has allowed only a trickle of ships to pass through the Strait of Hormuz.
European Council President Antonio Costa said the waterway "must immediately reopen without restrictions and without tolling".
"This is vital for the entire world," Costa said.
- 'Historic peace' -
On the war's Lebanese front, Trump announced a three-week ceasefire extension on Thursday and spoke in glowing terms of peace prospects after meeting with Israeli and Lebanese envoys.
But Mohammed Raad, the head of the parliamentary bloc for Hezbollah, urged the Lebanese government to withdraw from direct talks with Israel and warned that a lasting peace deal of the kind sought by Trump "will in no way enjoy Lebanese national consensus".
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has vowed to destroy the Iran-backed armed group, said "it's clear to us that Hezbollah is trying to sabotage" the peace process.
Despite the ceasefire, Lebanon's health ministry said Israeli strikes on Saturday in the Nabatieh and Bint Jbeil districts in the south of the country had killed six people.
In the coastal city of Sidon, Ahmad Shumar and his family were preparing to head back to their hometown in the south this week, after giving up on a previous attempt due to fears of Israeli attacks.
"We are going home now, not knowing whether there will be war or peace -- we will see," the 74-year-old said, surrounded by bags and mattresses.
burs/dc/smw/dcp
Ch.Havering--AMWN