-
Timberwolves center Gobert suspended after another flagrant foul
-
Guardiola hails Man City's 'massive' win over Newcastle
-
PSG win to reclaim Ligue 1 lead after Lens lose to Monaco
-
Man City down Newcastle to pile pressure on Arsenal, Chelsea held
-
Man City close gap on Arsenal after O'Reilly sinks Newcastle
-
Finland down Slovakia to claim bronze in men's ice hockey
-
More than 1,500 request amnesty under new Venezuela law
-
US salsa legend Willie Colon dead at 75
-
Canada beat Britain to win fourth Olympic men's curling gold
-
Fly-half Jalibert ruled out of France side to face Italy
-
Russell restart try 'big moment' in Scotland win, says Townsend
-
Kane helps Bayern extend Bundesliga lead as Dortmund held by Leipzig
-
Liga leaders Real Madrid stung by late Osasuna winner
-
Ilker Catak's 'Yellow Letters' wins Golden Bear at Berlin film festival
-
England's Genge says thumping Six Nations loss to Ireland exposes 'scar tissue'
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist
-
Imperious Alcaraz storms to Qatar Open title
-
Klaebo makes Olympic history as Gu forced to wait
-
Late Scotland try breaks Welsh hearts in Six Nations
-
Lens lose, giving PSG chance to reclaim Ligue 1 lead
-
FIFA's Gaza support 'in keeping' with international federation - IOC
-
First all-Pakistani production makes history at Berlin film fest
-
Gu forced to wait as heavy snow postpones Olympic halfpipe final
-
NASA chief rules out March launch of Moon mission over technical issues
-
Dutch double as Bergsma and Groenewoud win Olympic speed skating gold
-
At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island
-
Struggling Juventus' woes deepen with home loss to Como
-
Chelsea, Aston Villa held in blow to Champions League hopes
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist under heavy security
-
Kane nets double as Bundesliga leaders Bayern beat Frankfurt
-
Canada beat USA to take bronze in Olympic women's curling
-
Hunger and belief key to Ireland's win, says Sheehan
-
Pegula sees off Svitolina to win Dubai WTA 1000 title
-
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
-
AI revolution looms over Berlin film fest
-
Gibson-Park guides Ireland to record-breaking win in England
-
Defence the priority for France against Italy, says Dupont
-
Juventus end bad week with 2-0 loss against Como
-
Libya's Ramadan celebrations tempered by economic woes
-
Norway's cross-country king Klaebo wins sixth gold of Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
-
Iranian students chant anti-government slogans, as US threats loom
-
Hezbollah vows resistance after deadly Israeli strike
-
'Stormy seas' of Gaza row overshadow Berlin film fest finale
-
Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash delayed by rain
-
Werder Bremen cancel US tour citing 'political reasons'
-
South Africa's De Kock says handling pressure key in India clash
-
French volunteer bakes for Ukraine amid frosts and power outages
-
Mexico's Del Toro wins stage to take overall UAE Tour lead
-
Brook says a 'shame' if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred
-
Gu shoots for elusive gold as Klaebo makes Olympic history
Disgraced surgeon on trial in Sweden over windpipe transplants
An Italian doctor who made headlines for pioneering windpipe surgery went on trial in Sweden on Wednesday, charged with assault for performing the experimental procedure.
Paolo Macchiarini won praise in 2011 after claiming to have performed the world's first synthetic trachea transplants using stem cells while he was a surgeon at Stockholm's Karolinska Institute.
The procedure was hailed as a breakthrough in regenerative medicine.
But allegations soon emerged that the risky procedure had been carried out on at least one person who had not been critically ill at the time of the operation.
The 63-year-old appeared in court in a blue suit Wednesday, where he listened to translated audio as prosecutors listed the charges of "aggravated assault" against three patients.
- 'Disregard for science' -
The Karolinska Institute has confirmed that the three individuals have since died, but did not directly link the deaths to the operations.
"Macchiarini has carried out the surgery with complete disregard for science and tried experience," prosecutor Karin Lundstrom-Kron told the court.
As prosecutors presented their case they referenced both external and internal reviews of the case, including one published in 2016 by physician Kjell Asplund, who argued that Macchiarini should never have been employed by Karolinska in the first place.
"It is clear that this method has not worked," prosecutor Jim Westerberg said, adding that Macchiarini had embellished the benefits of the procedure.
Macchiarini, who took notes without showing much emotion, has maintained the operations constituted treatments and not experiments, and denied being criminally responsible.
"He contends that he has performed health care, cured and helped," Macchiarini's lawyer Bjorn Hurtig told AFP during a recess.
The prosecution's presentation of evidence is expected to continue over several days so the defence will likely not be able to present its side until next week.
But Hurtig said they had "high hopes" they would be able to counter the prosecution's evidence.
"There are quite a lot of gaps in that evidence and there is a lot of evidence that we argue are favourable to our view of things," he said.
- Downplayed risks -
In 2013, the Karolinska hospital suspended all transplants and refused to extend Macchiarini's contract as a surgeon.
A year later, several surgeons at the hospital filed a complaint alleging that Macchiarini had downplayed the risks of the procedure.
Macchiarini carried out three surgeries at Karolinska University Hospital in 2011 and 2012, using an artificial windpipe made of plastic and coating it with the patient's own stem cells.
Together with his colleagues, he performed a total of eight such transplants between 2011 and 2014, the five others taking place in Russia.
An external review in 2015 found Macchiarini guilty of research misconduct, but despite sacking him, the Karolinska Institute repeatedly defended him until 2018, when it found him and several other researchers guilty.
The university's principal stepped down over the scandal, as well as a number of other people.
Medical journal The Lancet in 2018 retracted two papers authored by Macchiarini.
The trial, held in the Solna district court near the Karolinska Institute, is scheduled to take place over 13 days.
J.Williams--AMWN