-
Under Trump pressure, EU eyes deal to end trade standoff
-
'We're here solely to play football,' insists North Korean coach
-
Putin trip aims to show China ties unshakeable after Trump pomp
-
Hanoi hits the brakes on petrol bike ban
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
World Cup glory attracts superstar coaches into international battle
-
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
-
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
-
Villa inspired by former heroes as they target Europa League glory
-
Irrepressible Sinner primed for career Grand Slam at Roland Garros
-
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
-
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, both suspects dead
-
Love, lust and gnomes as top UK flower show bursts into bloom
-
Fans of historic DC park wary of Trump plan to 'beautify' city
-
As bee population collapses, US apiarists fear research cuts
-
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
-
Campaigners warn Italy's gutted rape bill could help assailants
-
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
-
Star of Rome's 'sexy priest' calendar admits: 'I was never a priest'
-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
'Rust' armorer found guilty over deadly on-set shooting
The woman in charge of weapons on the set of the Alec Baldwin movie "Rust," where a cinematographer was shot dead, was convicted Wednesday of involuntary manslaughter.
A jury in New Mexico took just over two hours to find Hannah Gutierrez guilty over the death of Halyna Hutchins in October 2021 during filming of the budget Western.
A 10-day trial heard how as the armorer, Gutierrez had been ultimately responsible for the use of live rounds on set -- a red line across the industry.
The court had also heard how she had repeatedly failed to adhere to basic safety rules, leaving guns unattended on set, and allowing actors -- including Baldwin -- to wave the weapons around.
"This is not a case where Hannah Gutierrez made one mistake and that one mistake was accidentally putting a live round into that gun," prosecutor Kari Morrissey told the jury in her closing argument Wednesday.
"This case is about constant, never-ending safety failures that resulted in the death of a human being and nearly killed another."
Hutchins was hit by a live round fired from the Colt .45 that Baldwin was holding for a scene inside a church on the New Mexico set. Director Joel Souza was wounded by the same bullet.
Baldwin has repeatedly denied responsibility, insisting he did not pull the trigger.
Ballistics experts have dismissed the claim, saying the gun could not have discharged any other way.
His own involuntary manslaughter trial is expected in July.
The tragedy sent shockwaves through Hollywood and led to calls for a complete ban on the use of weapons on movie sets.
Industry insiders, however, insisted that rules were already in place to prevent such incidents, and that those working on "Rust" had not followed them.
- 'Russian roulette' -
Morrissey said on the day Hutchins was shot, the armorer, who is also known as Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was characteristically haphazard with her supervision of the more than 20 guns the production was using, and was not present as Baldwin and the crew prepared the scene.
"She left the gun in the church contrary to all the industry standards for armorers on movie sets," Morrissey said.
"As you heard from many witnesses, she would leave guns unattended all the time. There was nothing unusual about October 21," the day of the fatal shooting.
Hutchins, who was 42 at the time of her death and the mother of a young child, was standing near the camera that would be used to film the scene.
The bullet passed through her chest and hit Souza, the director.
He later described being shot as feeling "like somebody had taken a baseball bat to my shoulder."
Hutchins was airlifted to a hospital but declared dead that day, having suffered massive bleeding.
Gutierrez, Morrissey said, was responsible for all the rounds on set, and did not perform basic checks to ensure the dummy rounds she thought she was loading into guns were inert, including shaking them to hear their characteristic rattle.
"Folks, if she's not checking the dummy ammunition... to make sure that those rounds... are in fact dummy rounds, this was a game of Russian roulette every time an actor had a gun," she told the jury.
Gutierrez, 26, showed no emotion as the verdict was read.
The judge remanded her in custody ahead of her sentencing, which is not expected before next month.
She faces up to 18 months' prison.
The jury found Gutierrez not guilty of a separate charge of evidence tampering, relating to the alleged disposal of cocaine in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.
Dave Halls, the film's safety coordinator and assistant director who handed Baldwin the loaded gun, agreed to a plea deal with prosecutors last year and was sentenced to six months' probation.
Filming of "Rust" was halted by the tragedy, but completed last year on location in Montana.
The cinematographer's widower, Matthew Hutchins, who has already settled a wrongful death suit with "Rust" producers, served as an executive producer.
No release date has been set for the movie.
X.Karnes--AMWN