-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
Colombia declares 'protected archeological area' around treasure-laden shipwreck
Colombia on Wednesday declared a "protected archeological area" around the spot where a Spanish galleon sank off its Caribbean coast more than three centuries ago laden with gold, silver and emeralds.
The designation, said the culture ministry, "guarantees the protection of heritage" through the ship's "long-term preservation and the development of research, conservation and valuation activities."
The San Jose was owned by the Spanish crown when it was sunk by the British navy near Cartagena in 1708. Only a handful of its 600-strong crew survived.
The galleon had been heading back from the New World to the court of King Philip V of Spain, bearing chests of emeralds and some 200 tons of gold coins.
Before Colombia announced the discovery in 2015, the ship had long been sought by adventurers.
The value of its bounty has been estimated to run into the billions of dollars.
Culture Minister Juan David Correa insisted Wednesday: "This is not a treasure, we do not treat it as such."
He announced the area's new designation at an event launching the first "non-intrusive" phase of a scientific exploration of the wreck.
Spain had laid claim to the ship and its contents under a UN convention Colombia is not party to, while Indigenous Qhara Qhara Bolivians claim the riches were stolen from them.
But the government of President Gustavo Petro has insisted on raising the wreck for purposes of science and culture.
Spanish and Qhara Qhara delegations were present at Wednesday's event.
The wreck is also claimed by US-based salvage company Sea Search Armada -- which insists it found it first more than 40 years ago and has taken Colombia to the UN's Permanent Court of Arbitration, seeking $10 billion dollars.
P.M.Smith--AMWN