-
Kinghorn, Van der Merwe return for Scotland against Six Nations strugglers Wales
-
Repsol says could boost Venezuela oil output over 50% in 12 months
-
UN says Israeli actions raise 'ethnic cleansing' fears in West Bank, Gaza
-
Arteta tells faltering leaders Arsenal to harness Wolves 'pain' against Spurs
-
Crowley gets nod for Irish as Prendergast drops out
-
Unbeaten Swiss to meet Great Britain in Olympic men's curling semis
-
UK police arrest ex-prince Andrew on suspicion of misconduct
-
Oil extends gains on US-Iran tensions, Europe stocks slide
-
Former prince Andrew, a historic downfall
-
Sri Lanka post 178-7 against Zimbabwe ahead of T20 Super Eights
-
OpenAI's Altman tells leaders regulation 'urgently' needed
-
US renews threat to leave IEA
-
Liverpool boss Slot says Isak in 'final stages of rehab'
-
Airbus ready to build two new European fighter jets if 'customers' ask
-
UN Sudan probe finds 'hallmarks of genocide' in El-Fasher
-
Costelow starts, Hamer-Webb makes Wales debut in Six Nations clash with Scotland
-
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
-
Ex-South Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection
-
OpenAI's Altman says at India summit regulation 'urgently' needed
-
British couple held in Iran sentenced to 10 years
-
West Indies ease past Italy to tune up for T20 Super Eights
-
At least 16 killed after building collapses in Pakistan following blast
-
Summit photo op fails to unite AI startup rivals
-
OpenAI's Altman says world 'urgently' needs AI regulation
-
Horror comics boom in our age of anxiety
-
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31
-
London fashion week opens with tribute to one of its greats
-
Ex-S.Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection
-
Pea soup, veggie mash contest warms up Dutch winter
-
South Korea's Yoon: from rising star to jailed ex-president
-
Private companies seek to import fuel amid Cuban energy crisis
-
India search for 'perfect game' as South Africa loom in Super Eights
-
India's Modi calls for inclusive tech at AI summit
-
Airbus planning record commercial aircraft deliveries in 2026
-
Elections under fire: Colombia endures deadliest campaign in decades
-
Traore backs 'hungry' Italy against France in Six Nations
-
All-rounder Curran brings stuttering England to life at the death
-
South Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
Tech chiefs address India AI summit as Gates cancels
-
Australia rejects foreign threats after claim of China interference
-
Somali militias terrorise locals after driving out Al-Qaeda
-
Peru picks Balcazar as interim president, eighth leader in a decade
-
Australian defence firm helps Ukraine zap Russian drones
-
General strike to protest Milei's labor reforms starts in Argentina
-
Cuban opposition figure Ferrer supports Maduro-like US operation for Cuba
-
High-stakes showdown in Nepal's post-uprising polls
-
Asian markets rally after Wall St tech-led gains
-
After Greenland, Arctic island Svalbard wary of great powers
-
Veteran Slipper set for new Super Rugby landmark
-
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
UN calls for Taliban to restore internet as Afghanistan goes dark
The United Nations called on Afghanistan's Taliban authorities Tuesday to immediately restore internet and telecommunications in the country, 24 hours after a nationwide blackout was imposed.
The government began shutting down high-speed internet connections to some provinces earlier this month to prevent "immorality", on the orders of shadowy supreme leader Hibatullah Akhundzada.
Mobile phone signal and internet service weakened on Monday night until connectivity was less than one percent of ordinary levels.
Afghans are unable to contact each other, online businesses and the banking systems have frozen, and diaspora abroad cannot send crucial remittances to family.
All flights were cancelled at Kabul airport on Tuesday, AFP journalists saw.
"The cut in access has left Afghanistan almost completely cut off from the outside world, and risks inflicting significant harm on the Afghan people, including by threatening economic stability and exacerbating one of the world's worst humanitarian crises," the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said in a statement.
"The current blackout also constitutes a further restriction on access to information and freedom of expression in Afghanistan," it added.
The UN rights office called the blackout an "extremely serious human rights violation".
"Women and girls already excluded from public life are especially affected," it said on social media Tuesday, calling for immediate reconnection.
It is the first time since the Taliban government won their insurgency in 2021 and imposed a strict version of Islamic law that communications have been shut down in the country.
"I came to work this morning but we cannot run any business because clients do not have access to online banking, transactions, cash withdrawal, or money authorisation," a bank worker who asked not to be named told AFP in Kabul.
"When there was internet, we never felt how important it was."
The post office was also unable to operate because it required bank services to carry out its work, staff told AFP.
- Radio communications -
Minutes before the shutdown on Monday evening, a government official warned AFP that the fibre optic network would be cut, impacting mobile phone services, "until further notice".
"There isn't any other way or system to communicate... the banking sector, customs, everything across the country will be affected," said the official, who asked not to be named.
Telephone services are often routed over the internet, sharing the same fibre optic lines, especially in countries with limited telecoms infrastructure.
The telecommunications ministry refused to let journalists enter the building in Kabul on Tuesday.
A UN source said Tuesday that "operations are severely impacted, falling back to radio communications and limited satellite links".
AFP journalists witnessed Taliban security forces using radios to communicate with each other at public buildings such as the airport and post office.
Over the past weeks, internet connections have been extremely slow or intermittent.
On September 16, when the first internet services were cut in northern provinces, Balkh provincial spokesman Attaullah Zaid said the ban had been ordered by the Taliban's leader.
"This measure was taken to prevent vice, and alternative options will be put in place across the country to meet connectivity needs," he wrote on social media.
"Recent studies in Afghanistan found that internet applications have badly affected the ongoing, economic, cultural and religious foundations of society," he claimed.
The Taliban leader reportedly ignored warnings from some officials this month about the economic fallout of cutting the internet and ordered authorities to press ahead with a nationwide ban.
Netblocks, a watchdog organisation that monitors cybersecurity and internet governance, said the blackout "appears consistent with the intentional disconnection of service".
On Tuesday, it said connectivity had flatlined below one percent, with no restoration of service observed.
In 2024, Kabul had touted the 9,350-kilometre (5,800-mile) fibre optic network -- largely built by former US-backed governments -- as a "priority" to bring the country closer to the rest of the world and lift it out of poverty.
A.Malone--AMWN