-
US salsa legend Willie Colon dead at 75
-
Canada beat Britain to win fourth Olympic men's curling gold
-
Fly-half Jalibert ruled out of France side to face Italy
-
Russell restart try 'big moment' in Scotland win, says Townsend
-
Kane helps Bayern extend Bundesliga lead as Dortmund held by Leipzig
-
Liga leaders Real Madrid stung by late Osasuna winner
-
Ilker Catak's 'Yellow Letters' wins Golden Bear at Berlin film festival
-
England's Genge says thumping Six Nations loss to Ireland exposes 'scar tissue'
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist
-
Imperious Alcaraz storms to Qatar Open title
-
Klaebo makes Olympic history as Gu forced to wait
-
Late Scotland try breaks Welsh hearts in Six Nations
-
Lens lose, giving PSG chance to reclaim Ligue 1 lead
-
FIFA's Gaza support 'in keeping' with international federation - IOC
-
First all-Pakistani production makes history at Berlin film fest
-
Gu forced to wait as heavy snow postpones Olympic halfpipe final
-
NASA chief rules out March launch of Moon mission over technical issues
-
Dutch double as Bergsma and Groenewoud win Olympic speed skating gold
-
At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island
-
Struggling Juventus' woes deepen with home loss to Como
-
Chelsea, Aston Villa held in blow to Champions League hopes
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist under heavy security
-
Kane nets double as Bundesliga leaders Bayern beat Frankfurt
-
Canada beat USA to take bronze in Olympic women's curling
-
Hunger and belief key to Ireland's win, says Sheehan
-
Pegula sees off Svitolina to win Dubai WTA 1000 title
-
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
-
AI revolution looms over Berlin film fest
-
Gibson-Park guides Ireland to record-breaking win in England
-
Defence the priority for France against Italy, says Dupont
-
Juventus end bad week with 2-0 loss against Como
-
Libya's Ramadan celebrations tempered by economic woes
-
Norway's cross-country king Klaebo wins sixth gold of Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
-
Iranian students chant anti-government slogans, as US threats loom
-
Hezbollah vows resistance after deadly Israeli strike
-
'Stormy seas' of Gaza row overshadow Berlin film fest finale
-
Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash delayed by rain
-
Werder Bremen cancel US tour citing 'political reasons'
-
South Africa's De Kock says handling pressure key in India clash
-
French volunteer bakes for Ukraine amid frosts and power outages
-
Mexico's Del Toro wins stage to take overall UAE Tour lead
-
Brook says a 'shame' if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred
-
Gu shoots for elusive gold as Klaebo makes Olympic history
-
France win Olympic ski mountaineering mixed relay
-
Norway's Klaebo wins sixth gold of Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
-
Global summit calls for 'secure, trustworthy and robust AI'
-
Macron urges 'calm' ahead of tense rally for slain far-right activist
-
Rain go away: Brook says England ready for Sri Lanka disruption
-
Impact of Israeli-Palestinian conflict plays out on screen in Berlin
-
Macron urges 'calm' ahead of rally for slain far-right activist
Portugal seeks EU help as wildfire threatens UNESCO-listed forest
Portugal on Wednesday appealed to EU partners for assistance in fighting a wildfire on the Atlantic island of Madeira that has raged for a week and threatened a UNESCO-listed forest.
The country will shortly trigger the EU Civil Protection Mechanism to bolster firefighting efforts with two Canadair water bomber planes, a government source told the Lusa news agency.
The head of the regional government, Miguel Albuquerque, said 60 extra firefighters and first aid specialists had arrived from the Portuguese mainland on top of 76 already sent since the wildfire started on Wednesday last week.
The fire had burned 4,392 hectares (10,850 acres) of land up to Tuesday, the European Union's Copernicus observatory said on the X social media platform. It added that more than 950 hectares had burned in the previous 24 hours.
Regional civil protection chief Antonio Nunes told RTP public television that the flames had touched a part of the Laurissilva forest, the largest surviving laurel forest, that is on UNESCO's World Heritage List. He said the damage was not significant.
More than 100 firefighters battled the blaze on two main fronts on the island which is traditionally packed with summer tourists at this time, the civil protection service said in a statement.
Fierce winds that have fuelled the flames have also disrupted operations at the island's main airport at Funchal. But its management said the site was working normally this week.
The fire started in the Ribeira Brava district and spread to the nearby Camara de Lobos and Ponta do Sol districts in the southern part of the island.
About 200 people were evacuated from their homes to avoid smoke inhalation, but most have since returned.
Authorities said no house had been destroyed, nor any injury reported, but some firefighters had symptoms of exhaustion.
Thousands of hectares of vegetation were lost in a wildfire last year and at least three people were killed in a 2016 wildfire near the main city of Funchal.
P.Costa--AMWN