-
India generates record power as demand surges in severe heatwave
-
Asian equities climb on Mideast optimism, oil edges higher
-
Japan inflation slows more than expected in April
-
Second-half surge carries Knicks past Cavs for 2-0 NBA East lead
-
NATO allies to sound out US top diplomat after Trump Iran ire
-
Belgium worries as migrant crossings to Britain rise
-
Women's Tour Down Under to run alongside men's race
-
Something coming: what scientists know about a potential 'super' El Nino
-
French football's pioneering British champions
-
Leinster seek 5th title to derail Bordeaux-Begles Champions Cup defence
-
Law changes and innovations to look out for at the World Cup
-
US pins hopes on mediator Pakistan in push to end Iran war
-
'Dread': coral scientists fear bleaching El Nino could bring
-
Samsung union to start vote on tentative wage deal
-
Gibraltar monkeys eat soil in junk food detox: study
-
'Filter of fantasy': Japan trials anime therapy to treat depression
-
With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House
-
Lebanese accuse Israel of wiping their towns off the map
-
With record-low snow, Colorado preps for wildfire onslaught
-
Windfall settlement, stock trades: Trump accused of 'brazen' corruption
-
Morocco farmers saw hope in rain, but Mideast war inflates production costs
-
Enhanced Games: the 'Steroid Olympics' hit Las Vegas
-
'Fire in belly' as Kurtley Beale set for Super Rugby milestone
-
Middlesbrough face Hull in football's richest game after 'spygate' row
-
FIFA's huge World Cup to generate unprecedented cash and CO2
-
Spain's Juan Mata named A-League player of the year
-
Trump's big arch approved by ally-controlled board
-
SpaceX postpones highly anticipated Starship launch
-
Haaland and Odegaard lead Norway's World Cup hopes after 28-year absence
-
On key: Leo Woodall finds right notes in 'Tuner'
-
California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval
-
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after illness: statement
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress
-
Humanitarian situation in Gaza still catastrophic: NGOs
-
Russell says Montreal 'just another race' as pressure mounts
-
'Hungry' Palou starts from pole in pursuit of second straight Indy 500 triumph
-
Southampton sanctions explained as ruling documents released
-
US stocks end volatile session higher as oil prices retreat
-
Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title
-
Star stylists reveal secrets of making splash on Cannes red carpet
-
World Cup could make football 'mainstream' in co-host Canada
-
India postpones big cat summit over Ebola outbreak
-
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
-
Trump eases curbs on planet-warming gases used in refrigerants
-
Clinical Gujarat end Chennai IPL hopes with 89-run win
-
What's behind the social unrest in Bolivia?
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash
-
Trump pressures Supreme Court to rule for him on citizenship
-
UK details rules for single-sex spaces after landmark ruling
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Turkey after Israel deportation
Yemen separatists say Saudi-backed forces to deploy in seized territories
Separatists from Yemen's Southern Transitional Council said on Thursday that Saudi-aligned government forces would enter territories seized by the UAE-backed group, in a step that appeared unlikely to satisfy Riyadh after it repeatedly demanded their full withdrawal.
A surprise offensive by the STC, in which the separatists took control of resource-rich Hadramawt and Mahra provinces last month, has brought the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, officially allies in Yemen, to a point of unprecedented escalation.
On Tuesday, the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen struck what it said was a shipment of Emirati weapons destined for the separatists, a claim Abu Dhabi has denied, and called for STC forces to withdraw.
In its statement on Thursday, the STC said it would continue to operate in the regions but had agreed to the deployment of the Riyadh-backed National Shield government force in the areas.
"Today, we launched an operation to integrate the southern National Shield forces so that they can assume the responsibilities and missions that fall to our armed forces," they announced.
The statement said a National Shield brigade would be deployed in "areas of the Hadramawt and Mahra governorates, as agreed".
But a source close to the Saudi government told AFP on Thursday that Saudi Arabia's security needs would only be met if the STC "move out of Hadramawt and Mahra".
The source, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive matter, said the redeployment of government forces did not go far enough.
"We have to wait and see what is carried out on the ground," they added.
Another source close to the Saudi military told AFP the Riyadh-led coalition was closely following events on the ground and making their own assessments.
- 'Security demands' -
Farea Al-Muslimi, a Gulf and Yemen researcher at the UK-based Chatham House think tank, characterised the deployment as a "face-saving measure" on the part of the STC that had been offered to Riyadh and rejected in the past.
"If a complete withdrawal and handover of Hadramawt and Mahra takes place, it could be a prelude to de-escalation," he told AFP.
"If it doesn't happen... it will never resolve Saudi Arabia's clear and direct security demands," Muslimi added.
Saudi Arabia, the main backer of the Yemeni government, had repeatedly urged the STC to withdraw from recently conquered territories, particularly areas along its southern border, and earlier conducted airstrikes against its positions.
Following the strikes on Tuesday, the UAE's defence ministry said it would withdraw its last remaining troops in Yemen after Saudi Arabia imposed a 24-hour deadline for their removal.
The Yemeni government, of which the STC is a part, comprises a fractious coalition of groups united by their opposition to the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels who seized the capital Sanaa in 2014 and subsequently large parts of northern Yemen.
While both are opposed to the Houthis, Riyadh and Abu Dhabi back different members of the Yemeni government.
The STC's December advance raised the possibility of the return of South Yemen, a separate state from 1967 to 1990, while dealing a hammer blow to slow-moving peace negotiations with the Iran-backed Houthi rebels.
Emirati troops arrived in Yemen as part of the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthis, who had forced the government from the capital Sanaa in 2014 and seized much of the country.
The UAE pulled out most of its forces in 2019, leaving only a limited number in the government-run south.
Y.Aukaiv--AMWN