-
Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk
-
Ubisoft reports record annual loss after game delays, cancellations
-
Board of Peace report accuses Hamas of blocking Gaza progress
-
Boss of Germany's Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances
-
Colosseum selfies, 'Melody' toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome
-
French presidential candidate Philippe targeted in embezzlement probe
-
UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports
-
Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat
-
Magyar, Tusk tout Hungary's return to Europe in post-Orban era
-
Bangladesh measles deaths near 500 but vaccines offer hope
-
NATO chief says US troop withdrawals from Europe won't hurt defences
-
DR Congo Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide: WHO
-
French lawmakers back Macron choice to run Bank of France
-
Borthwick to monitor Lawes as England great targets Test recall
-
Rubio offers Cubans 'new path' in special video address
-
UK inflation drops ahead of expected war-fuelled jump
-
North Korean women win rare match in South to reach final
-
Gough says McCullum 'very lucky' to keep England job after Ashes debacle
-
Worried and under-equipped, Ebola-hit east DR Congo awaits medical aid
-
Lithuanians briefly head to bunkers over drone alert
-
Alibaba unveils new AI chip as Nvidia access remains stalled
-
Oil retreats, stocks rise on cautious Mideast war hopes
-
Key takeaways from Putin-Xi meeting
-
Arsenal players in dawn celebrations after winning Premier League
-
India issues heatwave warnings as fear of El Nino looms
-
Whale of a time: Humpbacks set new distance record
-
Families of Beirut strike victims vow to fight for justice
-
Maddison 'embarrassed' by Spurs' survival struggles
-
Uganda president's son moves against senior politician for corruption
-
Havana-born star Andy Garcia says Cubans dream of change
-
Iran Guards warn of war beyond Mideast as Trump repeats threats
-
Saka says Arsenal critics 'not laughing anymore' after title triumph
-
UK climate advisers urge setting maximum working temperature
-
Stellantis signs Europe joint venture with China's Dongfeng
-
Indonesia's Prabowo announces export controls for coal, palm oil
-
Shot for throwing stones: Israeli forces killing West Bank teens weekly
-
Japan to sell eels bred in captivity in 'world first'
-
Taijul takes six to lead Bangladesh to Pakistan Test series sweep
-
Langer left in awe by teen Sooryavanshi's 'breathtaking' batting
-
Humpback whales make record swims between Australia and Brazil
-
Ebola, hantavirus show world's risk preparedness lagging: pandemic expert
-
'The Four Seasons' star Tina Fey says old friends are gold
-
EU agrees to implement US trade pact after Trump threats
-
DR Congo fishermen resort to trawling plastic waste
-
LIV cash crunch hits Asian Tour as Korea Open prize money cut
-
'Wiped out': Ukraine's bird lovers long for peaceful skies
-
Putin, Xi hail 'unyielding' ties in talks after Trump visit
-
Director Boots Riley says new film 'I Love Boosters' is an 'optimistic' satire
-
Sky bridges, citizen science protect endangered Malaysia monkeys
-
Elephant in the room: Nepal's first Cannes film takes on taboos
Iran says progress made towards US talks despite attack jitters
Iran's top security official said Saturday that progress had been made towards negotiations with the United States, even as the Islamic republic's army chief warned Washington against launching military strikes.
Washington has deployed a naval battle group led by the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier off Iran's shores, after Trump threatened to intervene in the wake of a deadly crackdown on anti-government protests.
The arrival of the flotilla has raised fears of a direct confrontation with Iran, which has warned it would respond with missile strikes on US bases, ships and allies -- notably Israel -- in the event of an attack.
But Trump has said he believes Iran will prefer to seal a deal over its nuclear and missile programmes rather than face American military action -- and Tehran has said it is ready for nuclear talks if its missiles and defence capabilities are not on the agenda.
"Contrary to the hype of the contrived media war, structural arrangements for negotiations are progressing," said Ali Larijani, head of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, a day after the Kremlin said he held talks in Moscow with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Iranian army chief Amir Hatami earlier warned the US and Israel against any attack, saying his forces were "at full defensive and military readiness" to respond.
"If the enemy makes a mistake, without a doubt it will endanger its own security, the security of the region, and the security of the Zionist regime," Hatami said, according to official news agency IRNA.
He said Iran's nuclear technology and expertise "cannot be eliminated".
With tensions heightened, Iranian authorities rushed to deny that several incidents on Saturday were linked to any attack or sabotage, including an explosion in the southern Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas that local firefighters said was caused by a gas leak.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) denied that any of the buildings belonging to its naval forces had been targeted, according to a statement carried by the Fars news agency.
The Tasnim agency on Saturday also denied "assassination rumours" surrounding the commander of the Guards' navy Alireza Tangsiri.
- 'Own turf' -
On Friday, US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the IRGC would conduct "a two-day live-fire naval exercise" in the Strait of Hormuz, a key transit hub for global energy supplies.
In a statement, CENTCOM warned the IRGC against "any unsafe and unprofessional behaviour near US forces".
It drew criticism from Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.
"Operating off our shores, the US military is now attempting to dictate how our Powerful Armed Forces should conduct target practice in their own turf," he wrote on X.
The United States designated the IRGC a terrorist organisation in 2019, a move the European Union followed on Thursday, prompting angry reactions from Tehran.
The US carried out strikes on key Iranian nuclear sites in June when it briefly joined Israel's 12-day war against its regional foe.
Nationwide protests against the rising cost of living then erupted on December 28, before turning into a broader anti-government movement that peaked on January 8 and 9 in what authorities called "riots" blamed on the US and Israel.
- 'Want to be free' -
The official death toll from the authorities stands at 3,117.
However, the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) said it has confirmed 6,563 deaths, including 6,170 protesters and 124 children.
On Saturday, Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian urged his government to heed public grievances after the demonstrations and "serve the people".
Some Iranians at the Kapikoy border point that separates Iran and Turkey, where a little over 100 people crossed on Saturday, say they want freedom from the clerical leaders in Tehran.
"We want to be free too, to see tourists like in Turkey... Everyone sees us as terrorists. With the mullahs, we've gone back 100 years," said Shabnan, using a pseudonym.
"They were shooting us in the back. We were even targeted through our windows. Everyone has lost loved ones, friends, neighbours, acquaintances."
Rosa, a 29-year-old travelling to Istanbul from the crossing, said American pressure over the protests was not enough.
"It's much too late now. We know they won't come for us, but for the oil. For their own interests. We don't count," she said.
On Saturday, Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei visited the shrine of Ruhollah Khomeini, the Islamic republic's founder, offering prayers on the occasion of 10-day celebrations marking the 47th anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
L.Davis--AMWN