-
Malians tell of torture and killings by army, Russian fighters
-
EU-China spacecraft takes off on mission to probe solar winds
-
Under Trump pressure, EU eyes deal to end trade standoff
-
'We're here solely to play football,' insists North Korean coach
-
Putin trip aims to show China ties unshakeable after Trump pomp
-
Hanoi hits the brakes on petrol bike ban
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
World Cup glory attracts superstar coaches into international battle
-
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
-
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
-
Villa inspired by former heroes as they target Europa League glory
-
Irrepressible Sinner primed for career Grand Slam at Roland Garros
-
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
-
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, both suspects dead
-
Love, lust and gnomes as top UK flower show bursts into bloom
-
Fans of historic DC park wary of Trump plan to 'beautify' city
-
As bee population collapses, US apiarists fear research cuts
-
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
-
Campaigners warn Italy's gutted rape bill could help assailants
-
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
-
Star of Rome's 'sexy priest' calendar admits: 'I was never a priest'
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - May 19
-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
UK concerned over China spying row engulfing Prince Andrew
The UK government Monday voiced growing concerns over allegations of espionage by China, as a Chinese businessman with links to disgraced Prince Andrew denied being a spy.
Amid the fallout from a fresh scandal, UK media reported that Andrew and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson would not join his brother King Charles III and the royal family at Sandringham for Christmas this year.
Last week details emerged about Andrew's relationship with Yang Tengbo, a businessman and alleged spy, who had been banned from the UK.
The growing furore around the case prompted an urgent question in the UK parliament, and drew comments from Prime Minister Keir Starmer on a visit to Norway.
"Of course we are concerned about the challenge that China poses," Starmer said during a press conference with his Norwegian counterpart Jonas Gahr Store in Bergen, but he defended his approach of "engagement" with Beijing.
"Our approach is one of engagement, of cooperating where we need to cooperate, particularly, for example, on issues like climate change, to challenge where we must and where we should," he added.
In a statement Monday, Yang Tengbo, who was reportedly once invited to Andrew's birthday party, insisted he had "done nothing wrong or unlawful". He called the claims "ill-founded" and said he had "fallen victim" to a changing "political climate".
"The widespread description of me as a 'spy' is entirely untrue," Yang added, noting he had opted to waive his anonymity and was appealing against the UK decision.
- 'Proportionate' -
Judges on Thursday upheld a ban on Yang entering Britain, saying the government had been "entitled to conclude that his exclusion was justified and proportionate".
In the ruling which had referred to Yang only as H6, judges assessed he was in a position to "generate relationships between senior Chinese officials and prominent UK figures which could be leveraged for political interference purposes by the Chinese State".
The Sunday Times reported that Yang had also met former Conservative prime ministers David Cameron and Theresa May.
"When relations are good, and Chinese investment is sought, I am welcome in the UK. When relations sour, an anti-China stance is taken, and I am excluded," Yang said in his statement.
The scandal has emerged as Starmer, who took power in July, is bidding to reset ties with Beijing.
Last month, he became the first UK prime minister since 2018 to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- 'Tip of the iceberg' -
The opposition Conservatives, including its former leader Iain Duncan Smith -- one of the UK's most prominent China-sceptic voices -- have criticised him over the strategy.
Duncan Smith claimed Monday that Yang's case was only the "tip of the iceberg" of Beijing's espionage activities in the UK.
However, Foreign Secretary David Lammy insisted the government was alive to individuals who "pose a threat".
"We recognise the threat, we've raised it with the Chinese government, and we will act wherever we need to," he said at a press conference in London.
"This case does not exist, sadly, in a vacuum," Lammy added.
"The UK is in the most complex threat environment that we've seen for a very significant time, including terrorism and states -- including China, Iran and Russia - that pose a threat to us," he added.
Prince Andrew's reputation was already in tatters over his ties to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, which saw him forced to step back from frontline royal duties and stripped of his honorary military titles.
A statement from Andrew's office last week said he had "followed advice" from the government and "ceased all contact with the individual after concerns were raised".
"The duke met the individual through official channels, with nothing of a sensitive nature ever discussed," it added.
Asked about the reports that Andrew and his former wife would not attend the traditional Christmas gathering at Sandringham, Buckingham Palace said: "We do not speak for The Duke of York".
Last year, Sarah was included in the royal Christmas celebrations for the first time since she and Andrew separated in the 1990s.
L.Mason--AMWN