-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
Lebanon, Israel hold first direct talks in decades: source to AFP
Lebanese and Israeli civilian representatives held their first direct talks Wednesday in decades, part of a year-old ceasefire monitoring mechanism in the war with militant group Hezbollah, a source close to the talks told AFP.
The meeting was taking place at the UN peacekeeping force's headquarters in Lebanon Naqura near the border with Israel, the source said, as part of a mechanism to oversee the ceasefire that took hold in November 2024.
Morgan Ortagus, the US special envoy for Lebanon, also attended Wednesday's meeting, the source added. The United States has been piling pressure on Lebanon to rapidly disarm Hezbollah.
Ortagus was a day earlier in Jerusalem where she met Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar. Israeli media said she also met Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Until now Israel and Lebanon, which have no formal diplomatic relations, had insisted on keeping military officers in the role.
The United States has pushed for direct talks between the two neighbours in a bid to stabilise the region and further weaken Iran-backed Hezbollah.
Netanyahu's office announced he was sending a civilian representative to meet officials in Lebanon, in what it called a first attempt to establish a basis for ties between the two countries.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun's office said Wednesday his delegation would be led by former ambassador Simon Karam and it had been informed that Israel would include "a non-military member in its delegation."
Lebanon has declared itself ready for negotiations with its southern neighbour.
Netanyahu has repeatedly said Lebanon should join the Abraham Accords, under which a handful of Arab and Muslim countries have normalised ties with Israel.
In 1983, after Israel's invasion of Lebanon, the two countries held direct talks, resulting in the signing of an agreement that would have established relations. It was never ratified.
- 'Basis for relationship' -
The Israeli prime minister "instructed the acting director of the National Security Council to send a representative on his behalf to a meeting with government and economic officials in Lebanon", Netanyahu's office said.
"This is an initial attempt to establish a basis for a relationship and economic cooperation between Israel and Lebanon," it added.
The announcement came days after the first anniversary of the start of a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah.
The ceasefire with Hezbollah ended over a year of hostilities that erupted after the militant group launched attacks in support of its Palestinian ally Hamas.
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the truce, saying it is targeting Hezbollah members and infrastructure to stop the group from rebuilding its military capabilities.
Under a government-approved plan, the Lebanese army is set to dismantle Hezbollah's military infrastructure south of the river by the end of the year, before tackling the rest of the country.
Judging the Lebanese efforts insufficient, Israel has ramped up its strikes in recent weeks.
Israeli public broadcaster KAN reported Tuesday that Israel has been preparing for a "significant escalation" with Hezbollah, deemed "inevitable" despite Washington's efforts.
On the anniversary of the truce, the Israeli military said it had carried out around 1,200 "targeted activities" and "eliminated more than 370 terrorists" from Hezbollah, Hamas and other Palestinian groups during the ceasefire.
After his meeting with US envoy Ortagus in Jerusalem Tuesday, Foreign Minister Saar said on X that they "had a good discussion on the situation in Lebanon".
"I said that the one violating Lebanese sovereignty is Hezbollah. Hezbollah's disarmament is crucial for Lebanon's future and Israel's security," he added.
glp-mj-lma-lba/raz/ser
Y.Nakamura--AMWN