-
At least 16 killed after building collapses in Pakistan following blast
-
Summit photo op fails to unite AI startup rivals
-
OpenAI's Altman says world 'urgently' needs AI regulation
-
Horror comics boom in our age of anxiety
-
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31
-
London fashion week opens with tribute to one of its greats
-
Ex-S.Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection
-
Pea soup, veggie mash contest warms up Dutch winter
-
South Korea's Yoon: from rising star to jailed ex-president
-
Private companies seek to import fuel amid Cuban energy crisis
-
India search for 'perfect game' as South Africa loom in Super Eights
-
India's Modi calls for inclusive tech at AI summit
-
Airbus planning record commercial aircraft deliveries in 2026
-
Elections under fire: Colombia endures deadliest campaign in decades
-
Traore backs 'hungry' Italy against France in Six Nations
-
All-rounder Curran brings stuttering England to life at the death
-
South Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
Tech chiefs address India AI summit as Gates cancels
-
Australia rejects foreign threats after claim of China interference
-
Somali militias terrorise locals after driving out Al-Qaeda
-
Peru picks Balcazar as interim president, eighth leader in a decade
-
Australian defence firm helps Ukraine zap Russian drones
-
General strike to protest Milei's labor reforms starts in Argentina
-
Cuban opposition figure Ferrer supports Maduro-like US operation for Cuba
-
High-stakes showdown in Nepal's post-uprising polls
-
Asian markets rally after Wall St tech-led gains
-
After Greenland, Arctic island Svalbard wary of great powers
-
Veteran Slipper set for new Super Rugby landmark
-
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
-
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning
-
Australia vow to entertain in bid for Women's Asian Cup glory
-
Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards
-
Jail, disgrace and death: the dark fates of South Korean leaders
-
S. Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
MotoGP dumps Phillip Island for Adelaide street circuit
-
Trump kicks off his 'Board of Peace,' with eye on Gaza and beyond
-
Walmart results expected to highlight big plans for AI
-
Australia Olympic TV reporter apologises after slurring words
-
Formation Metals Appoints Roger Rosmus to Newly Established Advisory Board
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - February 19
-
USA and Canada on course to meet for Olympic men's ice hockey gold
-
Bodo/Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
-
McIlroy aims to eliminate 'big numbers' in pursuit of first Riviera title
-
PM Modi, top tech bosses to address India AI summit
-
Bad Bunny to star in movie about Puerto Rico
-
Arsenal blow two-goal lead in damaging Wolves draw
-
Habib Beye appointed coach of Marseille
-
Sloppy Atletico held in six-goal Brugge thriller
-
Schick steers Leverkusen past Olympiacos in Champions League
New York officials sink Times Square casino bid
A well-financed campaign to build a casino in the heart of New York's theater district collapsed Wednesday as a government-appointed panel voted down the proposal.
Opposition to the project was led by community groups who said a casino would lure unsavory people and theater interests who argued it would cut into Broadway's business.
The Caesars Palace Times Square project, a venture whose sponsors include rap musician and entrepreneur Jay-Z's company Roc Nation, failed to clear a key hurdle at the Community Advisory Committee.
The CAC, which is composed of representatives of state and local officials, voted down the proposed $5.4 billion project by 4-2.
City Council Member Erik Bottcher said he voted no after "countless" conversations with constituents.
"This is not a decision I took lightly," Bottcher, who had been considered a swing vote on the proposal, said in an Instagram post.
"All economic development opportunities deserve strong consideration. I believe casinos must clear a particularly high bar, requiring a uniquely strong degree of community buy-in before being sited in a neighborhood," he added.
"Despite extensive outreach by the applicants, that level of support has not materialized."
The vote follows two rowdy public meetings at which the CAC heard from dozens of backers and opponents of the casino.
Supporters of the project included construction unions, neighboring restaurants and business groups that viewed the casino project as a source of additional customers.
Other Caesars supporters included the Reverend Al Sharpton, whose organization was poised to oversee a new $15 million civil rights museum financed by the casino coalition if the Times Square proposal had been built.
But Broadway League President Jason Laks, who led the opposition, praised CAC members "who looked at the facts, listened to the residents, and stood up for this neighborhood and the theater community."
"This was a vote to protect the magic of Broadway for the one hundred thousand New Yorkers who depend on it for their livelihoods, and for the tens of millions who come from around the world to experience it," Laks said in a statement. "A casino can go anywhere, but Broadway only lives here."
L.Harper--AMWN